I’m almost positive I’ve made this pico de gallo so many times in the past few days that I’m slowly turning yellow… let’s just say I’m completely infatuated.
I just can’t seem to stop shovelling down all the delicious summery fruit I can get my hands on in every way, shape, and from, and this combination of gorgeously golden chunks of sweet mango studded with crunchy periwinkle onions and a scattering of viridescent herbs doused in wonderfully sharp lime juice is certainly no exception.
Juicy, bright mango, tangy red onion, zingy lime, brazen chilli and bright, verdant cilantro – it’s sweet yet tangy, incredibly refreshing, and so delicious it’s practically impossible to stop ferrying it from the bowl to your mouth!
Spoon it over a piece of grilled chicken, dollop it on top of some fish, or take a spoon to it.. although if you opt for the latter, be warned: it’s very hard to stop!
Adapted from the lovely How Sweet It Is!
lime & mango pico de gallo
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 3 medium mangoes, diced
- 3/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 green chilies, seeds removed
- juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- pinch salt & pepper, to taste
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste, then adjust seasoning as necessary, adding the remaining half a chilli if you want it to have a little more of a kick! Cover with cling film and leave at room temperature for at least 20 minutes in order to allow all the flavours to meld together.
2. Serve with a piece of fish or some grilled chicken, or just enjoy on a spoon!