Because eating your smoothie from a bowl, loading it with a ridiculous number of toppings a la your inner 5-year-old and Instagramming the heck out of it (of course) is much more fun than just drinking it.
These berry banana smoothie bowls are a mash-up between that lazy-girl’s one-ingredient blended banana ice cream and a green smoothie – it’s got a creamy, fluffy soft-serve texture but you’ve also got some spinach/chia seeds/coconut milk in there to make it a little less of a sugar hit (aka so I can justify eating it for breakfast), all topped with a slightly insane array of fruit, nuts and seeds.
It’s also a super easy way to use up any spotty bananas – just slice them up, freeze the slices individually on a baking tray for a few hours to stop them sticking together, then transfer to a container and store in the freezer.
Most places will discount spotty/browned bananas at the end of the day too so grab a few bunches when they’re cheap and freeze them in bulk. Hello endless smoothie bowls!
I mean, don’t you want to faceplant into this?
PS – The first copy of my cookbook arrived last week and I’m kind of in love with it! I’ve been taking it everywhere, cooking out of it, and smelling the pages (yep, I’m one of those people!) and I cannot wait for you all to get your hands on it too!
If you’re in the UK you can preorder here so you’re one of the first to get it! 🎉🎉🎉
- 1 banana, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- a handful of fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
- for toppings: chia seeds, chopped fruit, nuts, coconut flakes
- Lay the banana slices on a baking sheet and freeze for at least 12 hours, until solid.
- Place the frozen banana slices, spinach, frozen blackberries and coconut milk in a strong blender or food processor. Blitz until completely smooth and creamy - you may have to stop a few times to scrape down the sides.
- Divide between two bowls and decorate with any toppings you want! Enjoy!