Hiii, remember me?
It’s been a while! I’m really sorry about the total lack of recipes/Instagrams/tweets – my life basically consists of organic chemistry mechanisms, endless parametric equations and lots of coffee at the moment while I’m revising for exams and trying to survive my last year of school! Add in some really stressful uni applications too, and while these last few months have been crazy they’ve also been some of the best months of my life. If everything goes well in my summer exams (here’s hoping I’ll finally be able to memorise those trig equations…) I’ll be heading to my dream uni in the UK to study biochemistry in October, and I can’t wait for all the exciting things to come!
It’s safe to say I’ve been doing quite a bit of procrastibaking lately (those brain cells need energy and baking kiiiiind of counts as chemistry, right?!) and these muffins are one of my favourite creations. They’re seriously delicious plus they’re good for you too – there’s shredded carrots and apples along with almond flour and pecans, all great ingredients and they come together beautifully with a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.
I honestly can’t decide what’s the best part about them – the crunchy golden brown cinnamon-y streusel topping or the bursts of flavour from the apple, carrot and chopped up dried fruit as you bite into the muffin.
I used delicious soft, squishy prunes in these, but they’re also amazing with chopped up dried dates, dried pineapple, dried apricots, raisins or pretty much anything else you have on hand! Some shredded coconut would be great too, or try the streusel with walnuts instead of pecans for a twist!
- 3 eggs
- 250g almond flour (2.5 cups)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 100g (3/4 cup) coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (50g) raisins or chopped dried fruit of your choice (I love dried pineapple, dates or prunes!)
- 2 large carrots, grated (using a box grater or a food processor grating attachment)
- 1 apple, grated
- 100g (1/2 cup) pecans
- 60g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- a heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners (I love the If You Care brand).
- 2. Mix the eggs, flours, spices, sugar and coconut oil together in a big bowl, mixing well until fully combined. Stir in the dried fruit, the grated carrots and the grated apple and mix until evenly dispersed, then divide the mixture between about 12 large muffin cases - you might have enough mixture for more depending on how well you fill them!
- 3. Make the streusel by chopping up the pecans into small bits, then mixing together with the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the muffins.
- 4. Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown, then let the muffins cool for at least twenty minutes before digging in! These are delicious with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.