Hellooo soup season! Which means scarf season which means fluffy sock season which means hot chocolate season which means blanket season which means it’s perfectly fine for me to stay snuggled up in bed for the next few months, yes?!
Just look at that colour! It comes from the delicious carrots and sweet potatoes (thanks carotenes!) aaand makes me want to dive into these bowls head-first. Super smooth, creamy and with a little kick of spice from the cayenne pepper, it’s my latest obsession.
And did I mention there’s only 8 ingredients?! And it only takes 30 minutes to make! And less time between coming home and being snuggled in bed is definitely a good thing.
You can also add some parsley, a little more cayenne pepper (my fave!) or if you want to, use pumpkin or butternut squash instead of the sweet potato. Or for an extra flavour boost, roast the veggies tossed in olive oil for 15 minutes at 400F/200C before adding the stock and simmering.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 750ml (3 cups) of vegetable or chicken stock, or 2 stock cubes dissolved in 750ml (3 cups) of water
- a small pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat, then add the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the pepper, carrots and sweet potato chunks and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then cover everything with the stock and a pinch of cayenne, put a lid on the pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft.
- 2. Blend well, season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy! Keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days and in the freezer for up to a month.