I think by this point it’s quite obvious that I’m a complete stress eater (any excuse to eat copious amounts of chocolate, right?), so it gives that one of the things I’ve been indulging in most over the past few weeks as I’ve been studying like mad for looming exams has been ice cream.
When I’m sitting at my desk, pyjama-clad and doing all I can to memorize the endless list of quotations and literary techniques I should’ve memorised by now, a bowl of creamy raspberry coconut milk ice cream lightly sprinkled with a handful of crushed verdant pistachios is exactly what I need.
Brain food, right?
I mean, just look at all those antioxidants and healthy fats…
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into ice cube trays, freeze for a few hours, then put the frozen ice cubes into a powerful food processor or blender and process for about 30 seconds, until smooth. Transfer this mixture to an airtight container and freeze for at least two hours until serving. Enjoy!
raspberry pistachio ice cream
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes churning time
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, to decorate
1. Combine half the coconut milk, the maple syrup, and the vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Simmer for a few minutes, until the mixture is bubbling slightly.
2. Meanwhile, stir together the other half of the coconut milk and the arrowroot starch in a small bowl. When the mixture in the saucepan is bubbling, add the arrowroot coconut mixture all at once and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture suddenly starts to thicken. Do not let it boil, though!
3. Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat, add in all of the raspberries, and blend with a stick blender until completely smooth. Pop in the fridge for 2-3 hours until completely cool.
4. Place in the ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes, until firm. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least two hours before serving. Let sit out for 15 minutes before enjoying. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios just before serving. Enjoy!