Also known as that-recipe-I’ve-been-eating-on-repeat-for-three-days-because-I’m-completely-obsessed.
I can’t stop.
Roasting the carrots coaxes out their natural sweetness and intensifies their delicious, subtle flavour. They become beautifully tender and soft inside, and their crisp, roasty ends are seriously addictive.
All you need to do is toss them with a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt and shove them in the oven for half an hour; they’re the perfect easy, quick side dish! Or not.. I’d happily eat an entire plate of them and call it dinner!
Oh, and this pesto – don’t even get me started. Those verdant leafy greens turn in to a delicious pesto which has a gorgeous hue, a wonderfully spicy flavour, and goes with absolutely everything. I’ve been spooning it on anything and everything in sight, but ladled over these tender, roasty carrots definitely has to be one of my favourite ways to enjoy.
You can make the pesto a few days in advance if you wish and store it in the fridge until you need it (although it might end up being eaten before it gets to the carrots!). Enjoy!
roasted carrots with parsley-cilantro pesto
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Roasted Carrots
- 1kg (2lbs) carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Pesto
- a large handful of cilantro
- a large handful of parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2. Place the carrots on a lined baking sheet, drizzle over the olive oil, and sprinkle the salt on top. Use your hands to mix until every carrot is evenly coated, then roast them for 30 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelise.
3. To make the pesto, place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and whizz until smooth. While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle the olive oil in through the feeding tube.
4. Spoon some of the pesto over the carrots and enjoy. Leftover pesto can be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.