You know when you’re so infatuated with something that you could eat it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still want much, much more? Well, that.
Warm, tender spiced apples buried underneath a delicious blanket of shredded coconut, served steaming hot with a huge scoop of coconut milk ice cream, wafting a warming smell of cinnamon and baked apples through the house – can you imagine anything better on a cold winter’s morning?
Also, is anyone else just slightly obsessive about the fruit to topping ratio of fruit crisps? The more crumbly, buttery, deliciousness on top, the better, right?! Even if that means stealing other peoples’ crumble portions.. not that I ever do that, obviously!
See what I mean about the amount of topping I require to enjoy crisps?
The warm, comforting hints of cinnamon match the alluring kick of star anise and the subtle sweetness of the coconut perfectly; it’s almost embarrassingly easy to make, seriously delicious, and the perfect no-fuss, one-dish dessert! Hardly any washing up is a total bonus.
You can easily replace the apples with pears or berries if you prefer those, and the dish can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored (unbaked) covered with plastic wrap in the fridge until you want to bake it! You can also make individual portions of this – just reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes.
star anise apple crisp
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground star anise
1. Preheat the oven to 325F/160C.
2. Place the sliced apples in a 5×5 inch baking dish.
3. To make the crisp topping, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until crumbly. Divide the mixture over the apples, then cover the dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
4. Remove the foil, then bake for another 5 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Serve immediately – it’s delicious on its own or with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream!