Who became so obsessed with the gorgeous beets at the market that she bought five bunches and subsequently ate nothing but beets for the majority of this week?
That would be me…
After roasting, boiling, steaming, and sautéing so much that I’m convinced my hands will forever be stained bright red (tip: wear gloves!), I think I’ve finally settled on my absolute favourite way to turn wrinkly, dirt-ridden beets into long, twirly strands of crimson deliciousness. Magic! Well, that and a spiralizer..
Who could resist that gorgeous crimson colour?!
Just make sure you don’t try to balance a baking sheet full of beetroot noodles on your knee whilst attempting to take a decent photograph with your left hand (even though you’re right handed) and artistically pick up a handful of noodles with your right hand… it looks a lot less ooh-pretty-beetroot-noodles-y and a lot more red-stains-all-over-the-carpet-y. Not that I’ve ever been in that situation, of course…
Swirly beet noodles drenched in the zesty deliciousness of an orange vinaigrette and tossed with bright, peppery arugula – fruity and crisp, it’s the perfect combination of sweet, earthy roasted beets, flavourful greens, and juicy oranges. Not only are the simple, seasonal flavours stunning, but the gorgeous colours mean it looks mouthwateringly delicious as well!
Hand me a shovel!
spiralised beetroot noodle salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Salad
- 4 beets, cooked, peeled, and trimmed (either roasted or boiled)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup arugula leaves
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice and zest of one orange
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1. To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a small jar, seal tightly with the lid, and shake until well combined!
2. Using a spiraliser or julienne peeler, cut the beets into long, spiral pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Add the arugula, then add all the dressing and the sesame seeds.
3. Toss gently and serve immediately. Enjoy!