I’m pretty sure that everything is better loaded with veggies, avocado + chipotle cashew cream.
Ok, maybe not maths homework, but this healthy, hearty, veggie-packed soup definitely is. It’s spicy, smoky, rich, chunky and absolutely filled with carrot, zucchini and sweet potato noodles. And can we talk about how ridiculously simple but delicious the cashew cream is?
Cashews + water + chipotle chili = creamy amazingness which I *may* have eaten half of before it even got out of the blender.
Straight off a spoon. Not sorry.
This was originally going to be a super simple tomato soup with a couple of carrots thrown in to be devoured on the sofa wearing fluffy PJs while watching Game of Thrones for the third time, but then I found a few sweet potatoes + zucchini laying about and got a little carried away with my julienne peeler (new fave alternative to a spiraliser), threw in some spices and topped it with a load of avocado (obviously) and a massive drizzle of cashew chipotle cream.
I think I’m in love.
I mean, 45 minutes + a handful of ingredients = a massive pot of soup? When you consider that only about ten of those minutes are actually spent chopping and stirring (the other thirty-five are what Instagram is for, right?!), it’s a pretty good deal…
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup cold water
- a big pinch of salt
- a big pinch of chipotle powder (or chili powder)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- a big pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder (add more to taste if you want it spicy!)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 courgette/zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1x 400ml, 12-ounce tin of tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 sweet potatoes, spiralised or peeled with a julienne peeler
- fresh cilantro/coriander
- Rinse the soaked cashews, then add them to a powerful blender along with the rest of the ingredient. Whizz to form a smooth cream, then store in the fridge while you make the soup.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat, then add the garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin. courgette, carrot and celery.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, until starting to soften, then add the tinned tomatoes and chicken stock or water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low, then taste and adjust spices and seasoning.
- Add the sweet potato noodles and cook for another 15 minutes, until the sweet potato noodles have softened.
- Serve with chopped avocado, freshly chopped cilantro/coriander, lime wedges and chipotle cashew cream (recipe above). Enjoy!